Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark #1) by Pepper Winters

26085501
“My life was complete. Happy, content, everything neat and perfect.
Then it all changed.
I was sold.”

Tess Snow has everything she ever wanted: one more semester before a career in property development, a loving boyfriend, and a future dazzling bright with possibility.

For their two year anniversary, Brax surprises Tess with a romantic trip to Mexico. Sandy beaches, delicious cocktails, and soul-connecting sex set the mood for a wonderful holiday. With a full heart, and looking forward to a passion filled week, Tess is on top of the world.

But lusty paradise is shattered.

Kidnapped. Drugged. Stolen. Tess is forced into a world full of darkness and terror.

Captive and alone with no savior, no lover, no faith, no future, Tess evolves from terrified girl to fierce fighter. But no matter her strength, it can’t save her from the horror of being sold.

Can Brax find Tess before she’s broken and ruined, or will Tess’s new owner change her life forever?

Book: Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark #1) by Pepper Winters
Published: August 28th, 2013
Pages: 377
Genres: Romance, New Adult, BDSM, Erotica, Abuse
Format: Kindle
Date Read: October 7-10, 2016
Rating: 3.5 Potatoes 🥔🥔🥔

From the summary of the book, I really thought this was going to be completely different than it was and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The book was very well written so there is definitely no confusion as to how a character feels or why something is happening. The author did an amazing job! However, I'm just not sure I can get on board with this heroine. I get that she is unsatisfied with her love life, even though she loves her boyfriend and is "settled" in her relationship. I get that she wants more from him. But, what I can't get on board with is where her thought process goes and her rationale after she gets kidnapped (I would say more but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone).

From the summary of the book I assumed the book was going to be about a girl who is kidnapped and the journey she goes on waiting for her boyfriend to rescue her. I thought there would be parts explaining what said boyfriend does to get her back. Nope. This book is about a girl who eventually falls in love with her "master" - Stockholm syndrome at it's best. Now, I can get on board with that - I've read A LOT of erotica where the girl fell in love with her kidnappers and there is nothing wrong with a book that depicts it. However, what happens to this girl before she arrives at her masters house and during just completely turned me off their relationship. I know that it's a book and anything can happen but this one was a little bit of a reach for me.

The hero, however, I definitely liked. Q was a very intense, interesting man. I liked his backstory and what he was about. I can definitely see what made the heroine eventually fall in love with him and I would have loved to have read more about this character.

Overall, this was a very good book, it was, I just couldn't get on board with everything in it. Maybe due to the issues that go on within it or maybe its just me. Why don't you check it out and decide for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment