Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1) by Amy Engel

The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.
This year, it is my turn.
My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.
But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.
Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…


Book: The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1) by Amy Engel (Goodreads)
Published: November 4th, 2014
Pages: 400
Genres: Dystopia, New Adult, Young Adult, Sci Fi, Romance
Format: Kindle
Date Read: September 21, 2015
Rating: Four Potatoes 🥔🥔🥔🥔


I loved this book, really I did, but I felt like there was something lacking in it; hence the four star review.

I loved the character of Bishop, he was my favorite person in the whole book. Here is a guy who truly is good! He's not afraid to go against "government" to stand up for something that's right - that's more than I can say for most of the people in this book.

I did not like how the book ended at all. It definitely could have gone differently. Frankly, the ending threw me for a curve and I was left more confused than anything. <spoiler>I was a bit confused by the fact that Ivy left a note saying she was going to kill Bishop when she had planned on taking the poison herself. What is that about? I was so baffled.</spoiler>

Ivy's family were inconsiderate jerks. They used her for their own gain and I really struggled with Ivy allowing them to walk all over her and still think they were doing her a favor. It was during these times I had to remind myself that Ivy is only 16...

I found myself liking Bishop's dad by the end of the book, I don't think he's as evil as Ivy's family led her to believe. Bishop's mom, I don't really care for and I don't think I ever will. However, if I were in her position, I think I would act the same way.

I really do love the idea of this story, its very good. I just felt like it was lacking - there could have been a lot more character development all around and the end just made me so angry because I didn't understand some parts of it. See my spoiler above for more info on that.

Long story short - great story but it could have been better. That being said, I will be reading the second book, which I'm told is better, so the story may be redeemed after all!




No comments:

Post a Comment