Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

26085501
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Book: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Published: January 31st 2012
Pages: 368
Genres: YA, Romance, Dystopia, sci-fi
Format: Kindle
Date Read: September 28-October 6, 2015
Rating: 3 Potatoes πŸ₯”πŸ₯”πŸ₯”


I'm giving this book 3 stars because I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. To be honest, I'm not sure how I really feel about it. I loved the idea of it - the setting and the storyline - but I didn't care for Ember's character or half of the boneheaded things she did. Ember was very immature and didn't act like someone who "always took care of her mother". I know she always said she did but her actions were not that of one who does anything adult-like.
I really liked Chase but I felt like we didn't get to know his character well enough - we knew why he did the things he did and that he really does care about Ember but we don't know anything else. He's very one-dimensional to me.
I can see why so many people love this book, it has a lot of potential, but it just didn't do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment