Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Hazards of Skinny Dipping (Hazards #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy

26085501
This isn't a deep book about first loves or self-discovery. If you want a book like that, I'd be happy to recommend one, but I don't have that kind of story to tell. Instead my story is about rash decisions and finding out that your dream guy is bad in bed. It's the story of when I finally went skinny dipping, and how my life was never the same again. Oh, and it's also the story of my freshman year of college and realizing Mr. Right might have been there all along.
Book: The Hazards of Skinny Dipping (Hazards #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Published: May 17th 2013
Pages: 249
Genres: New Adult, Romance, College
Format: Kindle
Date Read: September 25, 2015
Rating: 3.5 Stars πŸ₯”πŸ₯”πŸ₯”


I took a few days to process how I felt about this book before I wrote the review and I’m still not sure how I want to go about this. I liked the book, I really did but I also had a lot of problems with it.

I enjoyed the character of Reed, such a sweetheart, and I hated Dylan with a fiery passion. He was such a jerk and never did anything to redeem himself. I’m honestly not sure what Juliet saw in him, other than his looks, in the first place. And I have no clue why she continued to date or why she did so in the first place! I had a huge problem with Juliet – maybe I have old fashioned views but she seemed to sleep with Dylan (and Reed, for that matter) very quickly. She barely knew either of them, on a personal level, and just slept with them. It was like, okay we talked, let’s have sex! And she just jumped from one to the other, which I don’t agree with at all. I don’t know if I’m the only one who felt that way but it definitely turned me off her character when she did that.

I feel like this book could have been so much better if the storyline would have had more time to develop and scenes were more drawn out. Things happened so quickly in the book and it gave me almost no time to get to know or identify with the characters. They are practically strangers to me. I get that this is a novella but I still felt like it wasn’t enough.

So, that’s why I’m giving this book a rating of 3.5 (leaning more towards 3 than 4, even though I loved Reed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment